Hi All,
 I am interested in calculating the overall channel utilization in
wireless networks by different routing protocols. Specifically I want
to look at a node and see how much of the time, it finds that the
channel is busy ( i.e. either the node itself is transmitting or
receiving or some other node is transmitting and our node cannot Tx).
I am interested in how different proactive and reactive routing
protocols perform vis à vis this parameter.

To calculate this, I used a patch from PBM's site. What it does is
basically create a timer and when the timer expires, the handler
function calls  isIdle() to check if the channel is idle or not and
then saves the result in a file. I am finding that the results do not
match the expected theoretical results. The results are showing a
lower value of channel utilization. My initial reaction was that
perhaps isIdle() doesn't take into consideration the backoff in 802.11
however I can't find any support for this idea.

Does anyone have any suggestions? or another way to measure the
channel utilization.
Kind Regards,
Yasser