Thanks for the suggestion.  I am having a problem with implementing
this.  First off, I get quite a few errors unless I do an #ifdef to
make sure that STDLIB_H gets included first. (It complains when stdlib
tries to declare abort after).  Wrapping an #ifdef STDLIB_H around the
macro definitions seems to fix this.  I define uan_abrt in a file that
is being compiled, uan-tools.cc, but I am failing in the link stage
with an undefined reference.

tools/rng.o: In function `RNG::set_seed(unsigned long const*)':
rng.cc:(.text+0x13b2): undefined reference to `uan_abrt'
tools/rng.o: In function `RNG::set_package_seed(unsigned long const*)':
rng.cc:(.text+0x1440): undefined reference to `uan_abrt'
tools/rng.o: In function `RNG::set_seed(RNG::RNGSources, int)':
rng.cc:(.text+0x14bf): undefined reference to `uan_abrt'
rng.cc:(.text+0x14e1): undefined reference to `uan_abrt'
tools/rng.o: In function `RNGTest::RNGTest()':
rng.cc:(.text+0x1b71): undefined reference to `uan_abrt'
tools/rng.o:rng.cc:(.text+0x1be4): more undefined references to
`uan_abrt' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Note that the spelling, uan_abrt is correct.

Have I done something obvious to other people?

Leonard