i think, actually we can't set our transmission range on each node, without
changing or hack the code from ns.
for now i just set my sensitivity node (RXthre, CST, etc). and set it
manually just right before we create the nodes.
I already make some simple simulation, for trying some kind of  wireless
sensor sims u can say .
It has 25 node and have 3 kind of node.
1 node for the HOST (80 m range)
7 node for the MIDDLE (50 m range)
17 node for the END (30 m range)
the data can travel just from the node that already on it's range.

the scenario is, the field is just like war field, so i have to send data
packet from node 13 to 0 (END to HOST).
i disabled the movement. just try it n give me some feedback about the range
from each node.
If you want more clearly about the range transmission, i draw the field and
node deployment with some design software (CORELDRAW).
--
jho