Hi,

In NS2, generating a new packet is not that complicated. Class Packet has
a function alloc() which returns a pointer to the created packet. You
may find the detail in file ~/ns/common/packet.h.

At the receiving end, you may process the packet in the function
recv(p,h), where p is a pointer to a packet.

There is a detailed packets (Chapter 8) and function recv(p,h) (Chapter
5) can be found in the following book from Springer:

T. Issaraiyakul and E. Hossain, "Introduction to Network Simulator
NS2", Springer 2008.

Here is the link:
http://www.springer.com/engineering/signals/book/978-0-387-71759-3

You might also find the following slide useful:
http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~teerawat/NS2.htm<http://www.ece.ubc.ca/%7Eteerawat/NS2.htm>

Best,
Teerawat