Greetings all.

This is not a question. Recently, we changed our OS to Fedora Core 9.
The C++ compiler that came with it was gcc version 4.3.0.
I had some problems with compiling ns-2.33 with this version of gcc.

Apparently, the new version of gcc is less tolerant with some
programming styles including assigning constant strings to nonconstant
char* pointers.
There were some other errors, too.

To cut it short, if you have similar problems, have a look at this
website http://www.q2s.ntnu.no/~paquerea/ns.php, which was kindly
provided by Laurent Paquereau at Norwegian University of Science and
Technology. Quoted from this website is the following text:

Warnings generated by newest versions of gcc
Using the newest versions of gcc to compile ns-2 with -Wall triggers
the following warnings:
warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'
warning: suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous 'else'
warning: suggest parentheses around && within ||
warning: suggest parentheses around comparison in operand of &
warning: 'typedef' was ignored in this declaration

To ignore the first four types of warnings, add -Wno-write-strings -
Wno-parentheses on line 3903 in configure.

To correct the files causing these warnings, download and apply this
patch.

I wasted some time searching for this patch. I hope it will save you
all some time. Thanks to Laurent Paquereau.

Regards,

Guray

Dr Guray ACAR
Centre for Communication Systems Research (CCSR),
University of Surrey,
Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XH, United Kingdom.
Tel.: +44-1483-689123
Fax: +44-1483-686011

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/ccsr