I am working on a new message authentication protocol for vehicular ad-hoc
networks (VANETs).  I am relatively new to utilizing NS-2, a few months of
working with it off and on.  My whole simulation will consist of mobile
nodes and use one of the routing algorithms designed for them (i.e. DSR,
DSDV, AODV, etc.).  I thought I was going along the correct route of
creating my protocol as a new Agent and then using the OTcl portion to
handle routing, link layer, MAC layer, etc. by using the node-config
options.  As of late I am doubting this because, for the DSR example, I
see more and more examples referring to the actual DSRAgent code to
utilize the DSR routing algorithm.
So I guess one of my questions is, which should I be using?  I know there
are changes in the way NS-2 handles node creation but I don't know if the
reason why I see the conflicting examples is because of that or because of
another reason.  Am I wrong in thinking my protocol should be at the Agent
level as opposed to the Application level?  I am wanting to control when a
packet is broadcast/unicast and its contents.

Marshall