If you're doing repeated updates to an existing program on the device,
use the "Update App on device" option (F6). It's faster.

Also, Start (F5) does not auto start the app.

I'm not sure what the memory usage issue is. I believe that the Window
Mobile OS may wait till garbage collection is needed before initiating it.