Hi Julia, and all the others who have offered help,

Thanks for all your suggestions. One thing has improved overall
play-ability: I sealed with white glue some separation (air leakage) between
the blades of the chanter reed near the hemp line. The problems with E key
have diminished but not totally gone away.

The other possibilities are now easier to explore:

Air leakage/pads: What is the jacuzzi leak detection method? My method is to
remove the chanter reed and directly blow into the chanter while covering
all the holes. The chanter is nicely air-tight. I will be vigilent against
the attack of the paraffin oil on the foam pad or its adhesive (superglue).
So far, no deteriation.

Operator Error: Not only do I have to guard against finger slippage off
holes, but tom maintain blowing pressure while attention is drawn to
pressing keys! I discovered the chanter cuts off entirely at subtle
reduction in air pressure.

Playing angles: I find the keys easier to play when the chanter is
stabilized by resting the bottom against my body versus letting is dangle in
midair. Is this tactic something like training wheels on bicycles, that one
grows out of as one advances?

Hole size: Do you have a recommended diameter for this key?

Kind regards,

Sam