----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Singleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "what.me" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:39 AM
Subject: Re: [NSP] staccato

> Hi Adrian,
>                We will never know, but don't miss the point, when the
> chanter got closed, BOTH legato and staccato could be played with ease,
> and to good effect.
> And as we all know if you have the possibility, and you don't have to,
> it's a challenge not to.
> I agree that staccato should come first, otherwise the musculature never
> gets trained for staccato playing, after you can play staccato, why would
> one play a lullaby that sounds like machine gun fire ? --- oh yea --- keep
> the little b*gger awake until midnight then it'll sleep right through ---
> must tell my brother in law about that one !!
> I would love to be able to play "à les pois qui tombent" and at the
> requisite speed of the melodies, but it ain't gonna happen, I don't have
> the dedication to practise every day or the capability to memorize tunes,
> I need the dots. But I agree with the primitive urges, all for them in
> fact  -- but keep off my end -- it is staying firmly on the end of my
> whatsit, along with all those metally thingies up and down the black
> doodah,
>
> Dave

Hello Dave,
if you notice, when playing legato, there is an unpleasant sound of wafting
air. I dare say that there is a lot of turbulance as one finger is placed on
a hole and the next finger is lifted, especially if it is the hole adjacent
to it. I can't condone this, as it sounds like a slow punture from an inner
tube.
Adrian