On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 21:41 +0000, Hilary de Vries wrote:
> Before starting to compose myself, I took written music pretty much as
> gospel (probably encouraged by learning Highland chanter where it all felt
> very spelt out).  Then when I tried to write my tunes down, I discovered
> that it was far from an exact science.  I felt like I was squeezing them
> into some kind of musical corset: the overall shape was okay, but somehow
> the nuances had been flattened out.  The fact that some of my tunes don't
> have a regular time signature hasn't made the process any easier.  I've sort
> of accepted the limitations of the written note, but not without a struggle,
> and the fight's not over yet.
>

> I wonder what other people's experiences have been, and if similar battles
> have been fought.  Or if, unlike me, you've found ways to get your tune over
> without feeling compromised.  If so, I'd love to know how!

Well I'm not an NSP player (yet) - I'm a recorder player, and my
training's based on playing from the dots. My ability to play by ear is
fairly awful, although it's a skill I'd like to work on - of course,
renaissance consort music is a little different to traditional tunes for
the NSP.

However, even though we're always playing tunes and dances and fantasies
and other music from scores and parts, my teacher always emphasises that
the music as written provides only a broad outline of what one should
play. There are many subtleties of phrasing, interpretation and style
which simply aren't in the notation - especially in older music where
the composers wouldn't include half as many stylistic markings as you
find in more recent pieces.

So although I play from dots, I'm very aware that the dots are not the
be all and end all, and attempt to interpret the music based on my
knowledge of the period and style in which it was written. Most of that
knowledge is still supplied by my teacher, but I'm learning gradually.

My teacher also has a habit of improvising ornamentation. Sometimes she
marks it into my parts, but I mostly get the impression at the moment
that this is something she does that she doesn't particularly feel I
need to do yet.

It is, I must admit, a skill I would like to have, but I suspect my
'feel' for the music isn't up to scratch yet. Perhaps if I'd started
learning from the principle of playing by ear, things would be a little
different.

Overall though, the vast majority of recorder players are play-from-dots
people, and so when you go and play in a group, if you can't read your
part and play it reasonably well at sight, you're not likely to keep up.

So written music is a guide, a broad outline of what was intended, not
the full details or gospel setting of how it must be. Certain things
can't be changed without destroying the piece, but what those are
depends on what the piece itself is.

I hope that made some sense. Personally, I envy people who can play well
by ear and it's a skill I'd love to have - but I wouldn't want to have
it instead of being able to read music, largely because of the customary
usage of written music among recorder players.