Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
> 2.   I would also be grateful if some kind person could tell me  the range of
> what in German is called a "Diatonisches Akkordeon"  (Is  it called a
> melodeon in English?).

It very much depends on the key of the instrument and the number of rows.

At it's most basic, a one row system has 10 buttons and therefore 20
available notes. The scale is approximately 2.5 octaves however most
systems actually miss a couple of notes out at the bottom or top or
may repeat useful notes on the push and pull. The basic range is two
octaves in a single key - there are lots of different arrangements.

2 row, 2.5 row or 3 row (10 button) systems have the same range in two
or more keys and often have extra accidentals as well.

And in a desperate attempt to get back on topic.. a C/F two row box
can be played with NSP relatively easily if you can tune to concert F.
The F row covers most of the range of a 17k F chanter + a bit but
doesn't have all the accidentals. The C row will work when playing
tunes in D on an F chanter (2 sharps on a Bb flat instrument is C).
The range (in F chanter speak) will be from the bottom A you don't
have through bottom D all the way up to your top b and then up to the
top d you don't have.*

*unless you're actually Andy May's secret persona in which case you
have both the bottom A and have been known to overblow to d' in the
pub. :)

To confuse things - they are sometimes called button accorddions. This
is not the same as the Knopf Akkordeon which is generally called the
contintental chromatic and comes in B or C systems and a full base end.

cheers

Rob