Adrian

> Choyting in open fingering in conjunction with a note, open fingered to
> the note higher and then back to the note. Eg:
>
> D E D

There are at least two other types of gracenote that we commonly hear
both in recordings and in performance.

The first is called by Scots pipers a 'half doubling' and consists of
a higher note played just after the inception of a melody note. In abc
notation you'd have, for an e half doubling on d,

  {de}d

The second is where the introductory gracenote is played low, as in

  (d)e

You can hear both of these, for example, in the first line of Kathryn
Tickell's "Keel Row" in Back to the Hills.

Do you also object to these two ornaments?

Did Tom Clough you have any derogatory names for them?

Ross