Francis,

"Parlour' could be considered 'folk', in that  it is an 'intimate'
'ritualistic'  social performance.

But  again  this is where we get into the difficulties of defining folk,  and
wether
or not it is the domain of the 'working class'. Reg Hall thinks it is, 'folk
music belongs to people lower down the social scale' (Hall 1999 p8).

I 'disagree', and  would suggest that because of patronage, elites engaged with
folk music.

This assumes an easy distinction between the classes which is not really a
debate for this
site, rather their is a wide spectrum of social scales in between our
stereotypical assumptions

So if we remove the distinction, we see a social relationship that suggest Folk
Music belongs to all the
people. whatever their class. This cuts through the romantic notion of not just
the 'shepherd' but also the 'miner'
etc.

On the Wright Allan's suggestion that he is playing playing NSP to connect with
his roots....nothing wrong with
that. If any of us think that playing NSP or any other instrument is 'not' a
representation of our identities then we need to look closer.

Steve D

From: Francis Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>