Hi all,

I tried sending this a day or so ago but it ended up in a bit-bucket
somewhere.

I am tremendously glad that Chris has made this contribution as it
fits in with what I have felt for years.

As I understand it, the single beating reed which we use in the
drones is
inherently less responsive to changes in pressure than the double
beating
reed of the chanter. This makes it entirely possible to bend the
pitch of
the chanter by changing bag pressure without substantially affecting
the pitch of the drones.

Let us say that a player wishes to play in concert F or F+20 cents or
any
other pitch to fit in with other pipers,( or even musicians). It
should be
possible to tune a drone to the appropriate pitch with  an electronic
tuner and then tune the remaining drones to match it.  Then the piper
can
adjust the bag pressure when playing to bring the chanter in tune
with the
drones or if this is not possible, open, close or change the reed to
achieve the desired pitch. If players have trouble keeping the pitch
of
their drones steady, they should look to their reeds.  I have checked
this
with Adrian Schofield and Andy May and the pitch of their drones is
remarkably constant even with fairly  large changes in pressure.

I would like to be able to make drone reeds which give a constant
pitch from 12" to 20" of water gauge. With such reeds, the problems
beginners have in getting steady drones would be much reduced.  I
think many beginners are fighting pipes which are poorly set up.

The worst case of all is to have a drone reed which decreases in
pitch as the pressure increases. This is what I call a 'hiding to
nothing'.

I believe that when the reed is removed from the drone and sucked to
sound
it, it should cut in cleanly and maintain a steady pitch even with
increasing suck. I would not consider fitting a reed to drone until
it was
stable on its own.

My twopennorth

Barry