On 7 Sep 2008, Pauline Cato wrote:

> Just to add to that I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to Anne
> Moore who  With help from Kim & John Bibby managed to move all the
> valuables upstairs

I'll second that.

Kim rang again this morning to say that she understood that after
they all went home the water rose again and there was about a foot of
water in the building for a short while.

We went to Morpeth Sun lunchtime. The river had gone down about 12
feet from its position in the youtube video of Sat pm, and both
bridges were open, though the footbridge has trees entangled in its
understructure. More alarming is that just upstream of the
footbridge, several large willow trees have broken free of the bank,
though still standing. If the water rises again they're going to take
off and cannon into the footbridge, upsetting the water flow and
causing erosion to an already weakened bank.

We went round the outside of the building, which is sandstone, and
there are several large holes in the pointing, which can't have
helped.

I've taken some video footage - if I can I'll mount it somewhere, but
it's rather new to me and I'm still trying it out.

Julia