HI Julia,

This is the e-mail he sent me under his 'what me' address. I assume it was
Adrian?

Just read your long reply to the detached note debate with that quote from
Clough which was right on. There is always something to be learnt from other
folk in whatever field they are working which has been what I have been doing
in reed and pipe making as well as playing. The bit about what folk were trying
to do was exactly what drew me to Billy Pigg's playing despite all his
'mistakes'.

My idea that that there should be an extended spot for players on courses who
are booked as tutors is borne out by what has been said about Adrian and
Pauline at Manchester whoe seem to have done their usual high performance
double act there. Not all tutors can do this,e.g. myself, but for those who can
there is probably more done to teach piping in those spots than in the tutorial
room.

This debate about detached notes is almost pointless as the nature of playing
closed fingering produces that effect anyway and we all instinctively know that
this is the essential feature of playing the small pipes. The debaite should be
more about how we can vary it with associated gracings and vibrato to bring out
the variation in interpretation that makes the music interesting to play and
listen to.

Colin R