Check with your airline that they will accept it as hand luggage
first, they vary, and my experience has been mixed. It often just
depends on the disposition of the person who checks you in. I have had
my Border pipes (long Savage & Hoy case) in the hold reluctantly but
without damage, but I've heard other tales. In the UK the Musicians'
Union has cooperated with the air travel industry to produce
guidelines which members can show to any check-in staff unwilling to
accept instruments as hand luggage. On one occasion I packed mine in a
soft hold-all to take on board because of size restrictions.

Many Uilleann pipers prefer a hard gun-case, which must have led to
interesting experiences at airports during the height of the Irish
troubles.