Hi Honor,

I'm no expert, but I think quite a lot of bagpipe iconography depicts
the bag under the right arm.  I have no idea whether or not that is due
to the artist (obviously it is in the case of original paintings) or
the printmaker reversing things.

You'll see another example in David Allan's painting "A Highland
Dance" at http://www.nationalgalleries.org/collection/online_az/4:
322/result/0/21917?initial=A&artistId=4483&artistName=David%
20Allan&submit=1

Here is shown two Scottish bagpipers playing for dancing, both having
the bag under their right arm.  It was painted c.1780.  There are also
examples in Hugh Cheape's recent book about bagpipes.

Richard

50% off Norton Security 2009 - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/security