Ref mistakes in pictorial depictions of pipers . As someone mentioned
earlier ''There are also examples in Hugh Cheape's recent book about
bagpipes.''

I haven't read Hugh Cheape's book but quite a few years ago he had an
article published in the LBPS magazine, Common Stock highlighting the many
examples of errors made by artists, lithographers, printers etc so I expect
the new book will further amplify this. Few pipers ''choose'' to play with
the bag under the right arm. And   note that the vast majority of people who
ride a bicycle mount and dismount and, especially, when walking along
pushing the bike beside them do so on the left. (Maybe its the same with
horse-riders?). Anyway do we know why this is the ''natural'' way to do it?
Bill