Trad CC refers to a traditional work which has been altered/fiddled with/added to etc by someone else - possibly adding another verse to a song, changing a few notes etc. The original tune is copyright-free, the additions/changes are not (or may not be). It may be put there when a tune (or song) can't be authenticated to be old enough in it's present form (cop-out just in case). With so many variations of tunes going around, one may need to cover one's back just in case someone does pop out of the woodwork. Again, it's similar to the "arranged by" we put on our work in case someone thinks it's good enough to record :-)
Colin Hill

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dru Brooke-Taylor" <d...@brooke-taylor.freeserve.co.uk>
To: "nsp" <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:57 PM
Subject: [NSP] Re: Jimmy Allen

There's a further topic for discussion. What does anyone claim "Trad C/C" means? I suspect there are people on this list who will disagree with me, but I think the statement 'Trad C/C' is usually a nonsense statement. It's either one or the other. It can't be both. Copyright has to belong to someone.

By calling something 'trad', in effect, a person is saying they do not believe there is anyone who has copyright in it. They aren't expecting to pay royalties for using it, or that someone will leap out of the woodwork who can claim them. A different copyright exists in the actual recording, but you do not give yourself copyright in a piece of music that comes from somewhere else just by finding it on a grubby piece of lined paper, hearing it in a session or playing it. You can only get such a copyright by tracing who wrote it, finding them or their executors, being able to show that their copyright has not expired and persuading them to sell it to you.

As for Jimmy Allen, one cannot prove that it was ancient from a negative, but it does look as though there was no one around in the 1960s or 1970s who claimed that they or their ancestor wrote it. If this reasoning were valid, which it isn't, it would be persuasive that if anyone once wrote it, they died before about 1900. It doesn't, though, unfortunately, provide any direct link to someone who died in 1810.

Dru