Back to this chestnut, before MsTickell's award takes the airwaves up :)
Especially since Colin Hill posted the link
http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/old-time-music/midi/005200.MID
to that amazing rendition on accompaniment with bit of tune showing through , it's been occasionally surfacing again & again in my head. (Hmmm, thanks, Colin!!!) I'm prepared to get flayed on this, as I'm nowhere near as experienced in specifically Northumbrian music as most of you, but I suddenly began to wonder - how much is it Northumbrian shaped?

Scholarly people have analysed, for example with Irish music, what makes a characteristically typical tune in a particular vernacular. I haven't got time to pursue it to that length, but I'm just humming a few other tunes from the tradition in my head, piping tunes especially, and wondering if it fits the same mould of characteristic figures of rhythm or note movement, or whether indeed it feels more like the sort of tunes which were created around the 60's/70's folk revival time - excellent tunes too, many of 'em.

Just a thought.

Richard.