Something else to think about is putting performances up on youtube or
   myspace.  All I know about this is what I hear on the radio, but if I'm
   not mistaken, technically, you are infringing copyright if you put a
   video up on the internet of a performance of protected melodies--like
   "happy birthday" or "Lindesfarne"--unless you own the copyright, even
   though you're making no money off it.  I think you will be breaking
   some sort of copyright law even if you post your own compositions in
   one format or another (score, audio or video) if they are not
   copyrighted.  There is some law designed to protect recording companies
   that doesn't allow individuals to put their own stuff up on the web
   without formal copyright.  Yes, Martha, apparently you can be sued for
   giving your own stuff away.
   BTW, Michael Jackson owns the Beatles' catalog as well, so don't get
   caught whistling "All you need is love" on your way to the bus stop.
   John

   julia....@nspipes.co.uk

   01/16/2009 02:36 AM

                              Please respond to