I haven't yet had time to play with the site, but this relates to a method which it was claimed could teach even "tone deaf" people to sing in tune... and presumably to hear to tune drones.

The teacher plays a note, the victim sings what they think is the note. Teacher plays what they actually sang (without criticism!), and asks them to repeat it... process repeats until teacher & victim are both on the same note. This happens over a series of days. When the victim can reliably sing the note first time it's time to move on and extend the process. I tried it only once, on a headteacher I was working with who couldn't sing in tune in assembly, but insisted on trying. Loudly. Other things kept getting in the way of regular daily sessions, which are all important, but we did see some improvement.
Perhaps an interactive website/device with a mic could do the same thing...

-st Be- -she
        wi-            -es

Richard.

rob....@milecastle27.co.uk wrote:
 .. Or rather "How good is my differentiation of tones?"

A friend pointed this site out to me the other day:
http://tonometric.com/adaptivepitch/

It measures how you differentiate between two tones and whether you can hear which is higher and lower. If you have ever described yourself as tone deaf, have a go .. then really concentrate and have another go ..

The test is adaptive so the better you are the harder it gets. Once you're into the realm if 2 or 3 Hz, that means being able to tell the difference betweeen different tempered scales.

There are a bunch of other related things on rhythm and musical memory but ths one struck me as being particularly relevent to piper's. If you lack confidence in tuning or don't know where to start, it's a very simple way of understanding (and improving) what you can hear.

cheers

Rob