To: <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 08, 2009 6:21 PM
Subject: [NSP] first 30 tunes

The NPS has just published a small tune book inpsired by the Boulting brothers who found they couldn't join in at a session I was leading at the North American Pipers' Convention at Killington in 2007. They asked a number of pipers to contribute their collection of 30 tunes that they thought should be essential basic repertoire that everyone should know, to help themselves and other pipers from different airts and parts when they got together and could all join in.
The book is now printed and available from the NPS.
At the time they wanted a CD to accompany the book to help folk who found it difficult to pick iup a tune from the dots. Unfortunately we could not find any one to mastermind that part of the exercise and it has not been produced yet. If any one out there is willing to collect recordings of the tunes and is then able to produce a CD please contact Julia Say the Secretary of the NPS to arrange this. It has already attracted criticism from one of our pipers who is 'deeply disappointed' that the CD is not with the book as originally planned and who thinks that it will do real damage to what is essentially an oral tradition. He quotes the late Tom Anderson of Shetland who 'rightly' said 'Never try to learn a tune you don't already know'. This of course is a matter of debate,i.e. oral v learning from printed music. It is interesting that the same piper never found any course to complain that I had taken most of the music for the Cut & Dry#1 LP from printed souces as there was no one alive who had those old tunes in their repertoire that they had learnt from a previous generation. This narrow view in my mind would prevent any advantage to be taken from Matt's recent publication of the 1777 Vicker's MS. I have my own views on presenting recordings of tunes with tune books as the style of playing from the various players would be imprinted on learners which could be a bad thing in some ways as suggesting that this was the 'right' way to play the tunes. Maybe a neutral instrument should be used to just demonstrate the way the tune may be played.
Colin R