One thing that might be worth considering in the context of the debate
   here over the past few days is that in at least one another tradition,
   the way a dance-based genre was originally danced need not determine
   how it later came to be played. I'm referring to "classical" music (or
   "Western art music", "mainstream music"... whatever you care to call
   it).

   Bach made great use of dance forms, for both harpsichord and other
   instruments, but not with a view to his music being danced to. The
   minuets in Mozart's symphonies are well away from the social dance from
   which they derive. Wagner called Beethoven's 7th Symphony "the
   apotheosis of the dance", but he didn't mean that it was actually music
   for dancing. The Strauss family's waltzes can (perhaps) be danced to
   but are in fact subtle concert pieces. Mahler makes much use of marches
   and dances but how the Austro-Hungarian armies actually marched  or
   danced in the pub is only relevant in that it underlies Mahler's
   ironical use of these forms.

   My point would be that traditions develop in all kinds of ways under
   all kinds of influences - they go their own way. What they were like
   originally may come to be irrelevant. That said, returning to the roots
   may well be valuable and refreshing: thank God for "historically
   informed performance" of Baroque music, for example, and for Allan
   MacDonald's approach to piobaireachd. But we are not likely to want to
   hear the Blue Danube played as if it were a "Laendler", the folk dance
   from which it derives.

   Sorry to rant on about posh stuff like this. I shall reel off to the
   pub for a quick clog dance.

   Paul Gretton

   (Schimmert, Holland)