Hi Anthony.
I'm sorry this is several steps late, I've only just got to read the latest batch.

Tim's comment was right, really, I wasn't intending getting too hooked up on the masonry, my story was meant only to illustrate the difficulty of treating material which has passed through many hands before the present, each of which may have changed it, or not, according to their own tastes, and of judging what's now valid, or desirable, in the course of those changes & the light of present tastes.

Thanks for the CD recommendation. I'm another Deep South... well, deepest East Midlands-ish!... musician - any recommendations of source would be gratefully accepted, please, anyone.

Best wishes,
Richard.

Anthony Robb wrote:
   Sorry to butt in folks, especially since I'm not sure what the exact
   context is! As the subject matter is the First 30 tunes the relevance
   of Victorian / Medieval masonry  escapes me. I do get the impression,
   Richard, that you might be regarding these tunes as treasures from an
   earlier age. Let me reassure you that many of these pieces were still
   being played by a strong cohort of traditional musicians in north
   Northumberland in a style which pleased them and fitted their needs
   extremely well.  It is the lack of appreciation of this and the fact
that they played their "reels" with a phrasing that was neither march, polka or reel. This pulse fitted the dance step of choice, the Rant, so
   perfectly that they referred to  the tunes themselves as rants.
   This was far more than a social pastime for the likes of Will Atkinson
   whose payment from "The Tanner Hops" made his, Bella's and their 10
   bairns lives, much more bearable. It is the glossing over of this
   unique heritage that drives me to bring it to a wider audience. If you
haven't already done so buy Will Atkinson's wonderful CD and you'll see
   what I mean.
   Regards
   Anthony