Hello Mike and others,

Your point about well-known tunes and devoting time to exploring these is a very good one. This is a topic that I've been discussing recently.

As someone who regularly teaches 'basic skills' groups, I tend to present familiar tunes and unashamedly use, more or less, the same core collection because these provide an opportunity for beginner- players to participate in sessions where they are likely to hear at least one or two tunes from that choice. As a tuition content, those tunes tend to get left behind in favour of apparently more complex and newer repertoire, and I sometimes wonder whether that isn't a lost opportunity for advanced players.

Perhaps not everyone recognises the time and care that tutors put into the preparation of new repertoire for courses. Participants look forward to receiving a weighty collection of tunes in advance, and with each tutor providing a substantial selection of novel material, that results in a number of new items that is sometimes practically unmanageable as a learning experience. Returning to your original point, Mike, yes I do think there's a lot to be gained by working on an already familiar tune at an advanced level . . . the Hesleyside Reel, for instance . . . and developing musicality by seeing these familiar items anew with the help of an expert tutor.

To some extent, there's an expectation of a tutor to be a provider of new material. Nothing wrong with that, as long as this is kept within reason. More important, though is the quality of the tuition itself. The weight of the pre-course material shouldn't be taken as an indicator of the quality of the course!

Lets see what others think.

Francis