>That passage describing and naming ornaments was clearly
>lifted from 'classical' tutors for other instruments.
>It does not discuss how these ornaments might be fingered, for example.
>Have you - has anyone - had Fenwick - ever heard a turned
>shake on the NSP?
>The description of staccato is redundant in the context of
>closed fingering,
>the technique recommended elsewhere in the book.
>It would be fun to see what source was being plagiarised here.

So we don't always have to believe fallible Fenwick? As i've said before, a
problem is the misuse of "staccato" to mean "short". It doesn't. It means
"detached/separated", as all notes must be (except of course the components of
a mordant or shake, which would sound silly if detached). It's interesting that
Fenwick distinguishes (like some contemporary pipers) between simply separate
(non-legato), short and very short.

Oops, I said I wasn't going to get involved this time round. But I agree with
Dave Shaw.