     From: Ina Gilchrist <ina.gilchr...@web.de>
     Subject: [NSP] nsp
     To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
     Date: Tuesday, 28 April, 2009, 5:04 PM

      More years ago than I care to remember, there was an excellent TV
      documentary in which the classical violinist Yehudi Menuhin met with
   an
      old
      Shetland fiddler (can't remember his name, sorry - big tall chap
   with
      receding hair and a winning smile and twinkle in his eyes - I think
   he
      was
      in his 80s then) and they discussed the instrument and played each
      others
      favourite tunes etc.
      Hi folks,
      it was the great Dr. Tom ANderson of Eshaness. Sir Yehudi once
   visited
      us unexpectedly when I was an undergraduate at Queens College,
   Dundee.
      He gave a brilliant afternoon concert at the Student`s Union. We
   asked
      him to play some Scots music, when he smiled wryly and said, "I am
      useless at Scots music". I cannot play the snap, you see ! It would
      appear that afte r struggling with the finer points of Shetland
   music,
      he had gone on to meet my second cousin, Kenny Wilson - also a
      brilliant Hardanger player - in the Borders just before playing at
   the
      Usher Hall. As my cousin told me many years later:-
      "He cudna get the snap ava"
      Unfortunately in those days, I was not musically active, although I
      organised the student`s concerts from my wee room up in The Halls of
      Residence in Airlie Place.
      Cheers now
      Ina