From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
julia....@nspipes.co.uk
Sent: 29 April 2009 09:59
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu; Matt Seattle
Subject: [NSP] Re: "Fenwick" tutors

On 29 Apr 2009, Matt Seattle wrote:

>  is it not the case that the Fenwick tutor
> (which I can't check because I don't have it) has respectably
> traditional sets of the Holy Halfpenny and Felton Lonnen variations?

Edition 1 has Coquetside as in N. Minstrelsy, Holey Ha'penny (as in
NPS1 - copied from the tutor, presumably), Jackey Layto (ditto), The
Barrington Hornpipe (so possibly Fenwick had direct contact with
Thomas Todd?).
Felton Lonnen is also as reproduced in NPS1. Bonny Pit Laddie is
(significantly) in D and is marked "from Mr Thompson's collection",
and with a note that he was the organist of St. Nicholas 1797-1834.
Apart from that there's just a couple of exercises.

> IIRC these differ from previous written sources but have a close
> relationship to the Clough versions, which indicates that Fenwick was
> not at all out of touch with the tradition,

Well, I've only just made the possible connection with Thomas Todd,
but if Fenwick was Todd's pupil then yes, obviously that puts him
close to the mainstream of the time.

> The Minstrelsy editors, on the other hand,
> appear to have had no contact with or understanding of the piping
> tradition,

Dr. Bruce had contact through his lectures but appears to have had a
very patronising attitude to the working man & his abilities. I have
deep suspicions of both his and Stokoe's musical competence, as I'm
sure Matt has.

There are no tunes in the 1931 Cocks & Askew edition. I don't have
the 1974 one to hand but am assuming that as most of the tunes appear
in NPS1 (1970), they were not reproduced. Can anyone confirm this?

Tommy Breckons told me that all the Clough exercises were contained
within four tunes (Jackey Layton & Felton Lonnen included above plus
Nae guid luck and Fenwick o Bywell) so there is significant practice
material there - but which was omitted in both C20 editions.

Hope this helps
Julia