     From: Dave S <david...@pt.lu>
     Subject: [NSP] Re: Style/dots
     To: "Anthony Robb" <anth...@robbpipes.com>, nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
     Date: Wednesday, 27 May, 2009, 9:23 PM

   Hi Anthony, let me quote a passage showing that perhaps todays
   tradition started from the dots ---- and yes I agree  "Keep your ears
   open"
   ciao
   Dave
   A LETTER TO
   HIS GRACE THE DUKE OF NORTHUMBERLAND ON THE
   ANCIENT NORTHUMBRIAN MUSIC,
   ITS COLLECTION AND PRESERVATION.
   BY THOMAS DOUBLEDAY.
   *' Nor rough nor barren are the windings ways
   Of hoar Antiquity, but strewn with flow'rs."
   Thomas Warton.
   LONDON :
   NEWCASTLE-ON-TYNE : ANDREW REID, 40, PILGRIM-STREET.
   1862.
   Such are the relative positions of the old, natural, and the
   modem, mathematical music. It seems clear that this posi-
   tion can never be altered. To expect a simple expressive
   melody to be appreciated, or even listened to, amidst the
   harmonious din of contending orchestras and oratorios, that
   count performers by himdreds, would be to expect a miracle.
   The Ancient Music, then, must remain in those "harbours of
   refuge" amongst the mountains of Northumberland, Scotland,
   Ireland, Beam, Corsica, Sicily, the Tyrol, Calabria, and
   Spain, to which it has been driven ; until amidst the muta-
   tions of society it may, probably, at length, finally disappear
   and be lost to the world, unless noted down, collected, and
   put on record.
   Such a fate I have long anticipated for the Ancient Music
   of Northumberland, which, being less in volume, much sim-
   pler, and only an offshoot of the music of Caledonia, may be
   expected soonest to perish. When, therefore, I learned, as
   I did some months since, that this subject had attracted the
   attention of the learned Society of Antiquaries of the town
   of Newcastle and its vicinity, my gratification was as great
   and sincere as it was unexpected. I had, in years gone past,
   sometimes dreamed of venturing upon the undertaking of
   collecting it single-handed. It was but a dream. A brief con-
   sideration was amply enough to convince me that to atchieve
   success in such a quest an expenditure of time and money
   must be involved far beyond that which any individual in a
   private station could, for such an object, be expected to incur.
   When, therefore, I became acquainted with the fact that
   the Society ol Antiquaries had taken the first step, by the
   appointment of a sub-committee, for the purpose of taking
   such measures for the collection and preservation of those
   interesting musical rehcs as might seem to be most efficient,