Thanks Richard - I agree with much of this, though I feel it needs to be the right speed, rather than just speed.

I have played other instruments for various sorts of dance, both traditional & historical, for a long time now, where indeed the dancers need to be able to rely on the right energy. Sometimes this seems to be better provided by strong rhythm and time to allow them to move in an enjoyable way rather than feeling they're doing a sprint. I realise it all depends on the nature of the dance, and don't get the chance to play for Northumbrian dancers, or dances, which I realise may need quicker stepping, so I can't yet speak for this. Hence my question about the speeds given in Peacock - not criticism, just a question, I hasten to add. In the case of, for example, Morris, which I realise is a very different kettle of fish, more energy is often provided by playing slower, when they can make bigger movements, rather than keeping them to short quick steps which frustrates them.

By the way, for those into nerdy counting, "All the Night I Lay with Jockey" is given a figure of 120 bpm in the new Peacock. Pauline Cato's "New Tyne Bridge" CD makes it sound relaxed and cheerful and quite fast enough at 116, Andy May's "Happy Hours" CD comes in at 108. I'm not suggesting it's a race. Both are great musically, both sound lively enough to my ear. Both, incidentally, are also obviously within their comfort zone, as discussed in an earlier string, and make it sound as if they're actually playing slower!

All ye best,
Richard Y

Richard Shuttleworth wrote:
Hello Richard,
A distinction should be made between playing for dances and playing for pleasure. Dancers need the music to be quite fast otherwise they feel clumsy and uncoordinated; to move along and feel light on their feet they need speed - which the player has to provide. When the piper is simply playing for his/her own pleasure then the music can take over and set its own tempo.
Cheers,
Richard S.

Richard York wrote:

  I find this very reassuring, Matt!
  I'm still bashing away at Peacock, and only recently took note of the
  metronome settings in the recent edition, some of which are, to me,
  stratospherically fast.
  I've been wondering if these were based on general practice, either
  current or historical, or other evidence, or personal editorial
  preference.
  I know that in other traditional dance music I play, slow is often
  increasingly better, but was ascribing my falling well short of these
  "target" speeds here to my lack of nsp experience & skill.
  - but I also noted that on some recent CD's I've heard, some of the
  pieces feel as if they're played slower than the figures given, and
  they feel right to my untutored southern ear. I'll have to go  check
  now with CD & metronome!
  Best wishes,
  Richard.