Hello Chris
   I think you have made some excellent points but we all have similar
   experiences of "knowing" a tune and then, in a new context, it goes
   awol.
   I'd reached a reasonable standard and had learnt all of my tunes by ear
   when I had my first few tunes with Will Atkinson in his cottage at Glen
   Aln in1977. Simple hornpipes like Redesdale and Friendly Visit deserted
   me despite having learnt & played them (without dots) for years.
   Looking back, what thew me was his style of phrasing which I'd not
   really come up against down on Tyneside. A few hundreths of a second
   added to or taken off a note can make all the difference to how well we
   are able to fit in with it. If it was a Tap & Spile session you were
   talking about then it was probably David Oliver leading it and he too
   feels the music differently to other people. Trust me it is just a
   matter of time and listening to the different (music) accents out
   there. There's a tale I heard recently of Hannah Hutton and Fred Jordan
   at a festival. They had breakfast together everyday for a week and at
   the end of it Fred commented what a lovely lady Hannah was and how she
   was full of tales and chat at the beakfast table but at the end of it
   he admitted he hadn't understood a single word of what she had said all
   week!
   The same happens in music. Listen and get used to different styles so
   you are able to sing them in your head and you'll be more than halfway
   there.
   Anthony
   --- On Thu, 11/6/09, ch...@harris405.plus.com