Hi, folks,

As a very mediocre player I hesitate to respond but share the substance of
what I wrote Gordon privately:

I took up the pipes aged 57, too late to hope for real accomplishments
whatever my innate musical talent -- which tends in any case to focus in
dancing, particularly Scottish Country Dancing.  In the event, after a
very dedicated first 8 years, the following years have tailed off a bit as
I'm not near other pipers to stimulate practice.

I decided that I wanted pipes to accompany singing (not that I'm that good
but I enjoy it) and after some research went for a Concert C chanter --
i.e. the lowest open hole is piano C.  This was a VERY good decision for
me.  Being left-handed but not able to get to a left handed set until I'd
well and truly spent too much time with standard fingering and posture
(bellows on right, etc), I've found that my left hand is actually busier
than my right.  But more importantly, it is dead easy to play BOTH with
other instruments (the natural scale) AND with other pipers.  The C
chanter can be treated as a virtual D chanter (i.e. bottom open hole = D)
when with other pipers which means learning a second fingering but D is a
much more natural piping key than E (the equivalent to using a D chanter
with other pipers).  I'm not explaining it very well but think for a
moment about the piano pitch of standard drones: piano C and F (notionally
D and G) give or take a few cycles/sec.  Getting a C chanter did not
involve getting new drones or retuned drones.  The chanter was also long
enough that there was space for an extra upper key as well as lower ones
so I have a key that allows me to play upper "a" with other pipers.  I
miss upper "b" but it is less common.

John Clifford
retired in Scotland