What the player wants the player gets. In my case I have made D chanters with the top G and A in the place of the nominal Bb and G# keys on the standard F chanter and also put the top G and A on the front and back of the chanter for those that want the chromatic D# and Fnat keys that go alongside the E and F#keys. There is no standard system so it is up to the pipemaker to invent his own in co-operation with the player.
Cr

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Gruar <phi...@gruar.clara.net>
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Sent: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:32
Subject: [NSP] D set keys (was Looking for players..)

Dick wrote

My D set has a high C, and if pipemakers are interested in my
opinion,
I don't think D sets should be made without a high C. It's just too
useful, and allows much more concert pitch playing.

Probably too obvious to mention, but I guess we are to assume this means "virtual high C", which on a D set actually sounds concert-pitch G.

As I pipe-maker, I take the advice on board. It seems very sensible, there is easily room for it on a D chanter, and I'll always be interested in Dick's opinion (flattery is never out of place, and this is sincere anyway :-))  Which side is the key on, Dick? and where should the key go if all D chanters are to have a high C as standard? The usual solution with a standard-pitch "F" set is to put a high C on the left, paired with the A in place of the seldom-used high A#/B flat, but on a D chanter that little-used B flat becomes a useful F natural, while on the right side the useful "g#" of a standard set turns into d# - maybe not so useful if playing at concert pitch, so perhaps a high C could go there instead? And what if there are already two keys on each side? A triple slot on the left is what I used for John Clifford's chanter, but there may be better solutions - any input, Colin and other makers?

Philip