I've had a chance to catch up on my emails. Thanks for all
   contributitions.
   My point about not getting an understanding and feel for the music
   before starting to play might be illustrated by checking out the
   following links. In the 1920s the Haka was done by well-meaning All
   Blacks who had obviously little clue about what it should be
   like: [1]http://www.nzallblacks.net/haka.asp
   More recent versions show evidence of input of what it should really be
   like:
   [2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU4B-NBuCgo&feature=player_embedded
   It seems to me, analogously, that in terms of everyday piping we are in
   a process of starting from the 08 version and hurtling headlong for the
   1922 version.
   It is a source of real dismay to me that I often hear the remark "I
   hate Northumbrian Pipes but yours don't sound like them". Nice for me
   but surely bad for piping!
   Pipers need to get beyong the flaccid, bland sound so commonly heard
   these days. One way might be to listen to old guys. Whatever you think
   of them they certainly weren't flaccid or bland and trust me there is
   no other way for this music.
   As for the classical approach - I was asked by a classical colleague at
   Newcastle to give her a fiddle lesson last week. I thought I'd give her
   a shock and turn up without any dots at all. She was delighted, after
   an hour she had picked up her first tune by ear and when I offered to
   email the dots to her she responded as though I'd offered her cup of
   potassium cyanide! The dichotomy dismissed by Stephen has not
   disappeared. She appreciated just waht the dots might do to her
   understanding of the tune. He might want to turn a blind eye to it,
   that's up to him but as I said originally it doesn't make the problem
   and its consequences go away.
   As aye
   Anthony