Thanks Anthony,
and it is indeed fantastic playing, well worth the listen.
John Doonan's advice sounds like that of Karen Tweed (the accordian player the rest try to copy). Karen reckons that to play accordian well you listen to excellent playing on flute, fiddle, almost anything other than box, and try to incorporate their characteristic sounds into the accordian, rather than just trying to play good accordian. In her case it's Irish style she starts from, but it concurs with what you say here.
Best wishes,
Richard.

P.S. I'm getting duplicate NSP emails just now - is is something we all get in turn on this list? (Whose turn next?)

Anthony Robb wrote:
   Hello Richard
   I've put a smaller file on the same link,
   [1]http://www.robbpipes.com/WillAtkinson  (& a photo of yours truly
   with Will & Joe).
   I know Will didn't play the pipes but I'm trying to follow the advice
   of John Doonan (pal of Billy Pigg, Archie Bertram et al.) 36 years ago
   he heard me play and told me I was a good player but the only way I'd
   improve was to listen to the all players of Northumbrian music
   and learn from them. Six months later I met him at one of Archie
   Bertram's nights near Hepple and could see just what he meant. Trouble
   is I'm still not there yet - as Jimmy Little says "it takes a lang
   time, a lang, lang time"!
   Cheers
   Anthony

   --- On Sun, 25/10/09, Richard York <rich...@lizards.force9.co.uk>