Not at all what I was saying John. They were good not "because they
   were illiterate" but because they had no option but to listen and get
   the feel for the tunes they were in their heads before their fingers
   tried them out. That is my point.
   Dave, I dont know a single teacher in any of the Folk situations these
   days who doesn't use dots but I have heard tunes emasculated many times
   because excellent sight-readers played them as written. Not only that
   but some people from a dots background are now telling the likes of
   Jimmy Little that his is not playing the tune properly! Recently a
   visiting piper to the area insisted to one of my Caedmon players that
   he had the wrong interpretation of a certain tune (recently taught at
   my Caedmon classes), the tune in question was written by Alistair
   Anderson who, when he heard me play it, smiled and complimented me on
   the feel I had for it. It's when dots give people the idea that
   they can "correct" the playing of those immersed in the music that I
   gert hot under the collar!
   These days it has never been easier to learn by listening to recordings
   of traditional players. But people are reluctant to give the time
   needed to get the tune off with any of the original feel. They want to
   get tunes "under the belt" and tick them off a bit like "Munroe
   Baggers" do with high Scottish hills.
   When dots players can look at at jig bar at see a three quaver group
   written in the relationship ratio 1:1:1 and instinctively feel the
   following ratio possibilities, 3:1:2,  8:6:7, 6:4:5,  5:3:4, 4:2:3  or
   11:5:8 I'll stop banging on about the dangers of dots!!
   As aye
   Anthony
   PS Just a little background on Margaret W from way back - she is
   blessed with the most amazing ear for tunes yet she is also a highly
   accomplished trained player (a vague memory of an Organ Scholarship to
   York comes to mind). I am not saying the two gifts are incompatible.
   I'm saying we have to be very careful of the ration between eye & lug
   when it comes to our music; about 1:9 might do the trick!