I'll give my half-pennyworth and then shut up.

I admire and respect quite a lot of folk musicians who play only by ear.,   I
also admire and respect quite a lot of classically trained musicians who play
from the dots, and it seems that many who are damning the classically trained
on this nsp list don't realize that  many of the very best among the
classically trained can (and frequently do) play brilliantly by ear, and can
capture the nuances of different styles, be it folk, national, period, or
whatever.   I agree that many classically trained musicians tend to be glued to
their dots.   But do all those who learn by ear play superbly?

Re: "musical dictation".   Like so many things in life, this is a matter of
practice.   Children learning to read words first do it by spelling everything
out letter by letter but with practice comes fluency.   None of us as adults
needs to read aloud in order to understand what is written.   Similarly with
music.   As far as dictation is concerned, usually you first are given a short
phrase and  learn to jot down the rhythm, then start with simple melodic lines.
   If you keep it up you become fluent - if you don't you get rusty!.   As you
look at the dots of a tune you hear it in your head.  Conductors are probably
the experts in this field, hearing not only one line but a whole score in their
heads as they look at it - and woe betide a member of the orchestra who plays a
sharp when it should be a natural or a flat, or is late with an entry - even
though the whole gang may be playing.   There is nothing arcane about the
process but for most of us it does require practice, !
 working at it, and keeping it up.

End of lesson,

Keep smiling.

Sheila