Here we go again. I and others received this this morning. Apologies for any
duplication.

Julia

Hello - I'd like to flag up the fact that the owners of the Chantry building,
the
new unitary Northumberland County Council, who replaced Castle Morpeth Borough
Council in April, are looking at massive cuts to cope with a £30million
deficit.  A
preliminary public consultation is going on now till around 20th January.

Would you be willing to write a letter of support for the Morpeth Chantry
Bagpipe
Museum, praising whatever aspects of it you think are important (cultural,
touristic, historic, economic, iconic), and complimenting Northumberland County
Council on not proposing to close it?  The relevant councillor's details are
given
below.  A letter as soon as possible, and ideally before Christmas, would be
welcome if you could manage it.

Their document proposing a short list of various cuts in services does not
mention
closure of the museum, but there is a strong possibility that by February these
measures may be found to be insufficient for the savings required: a second
hitlist
would then be activated leaving no time for a further consultation on the extra
cuts. The second "long" list is not in the public domain but the museum is under
threat, and in fact the curator has had an informal invitation to put in for
voluntary redundancy, which somewhat flies in the face of the initial published
document's intentions.

The portfolio holder for culture is Councillor E.I. (Isabel) Hunter.  Her
address
is Morvin, 11 Springhill Lane, Tweedmouth, Berwick upon Tweed, TD15 2QN and her
e-
mail is isabel.hun...@northumberland.gov.uk

Please also copy in Anne at the museum on anne.moor...@northumberland.gov.uk
and you might also like to copy in also anyone else connected with the County
Council that you think relevant.  The Chief Executive is Steve Stewart, though
I'm
not sure what format his e-mail address takes.

The more positive support expressed for the museum, and its present location,
the
more the powers that be might appreciate it, so please do spread the word.

Many thanks.  I'm sorry that we seem yet again to have to fight, but it worked
last
time. Have a good Christmas! Kim Bibby-Wilson