Are the C and B drone stocks still good to use or has anything changed? Also do all
you makers use the same woode for the stocks as the rest of the pipes?

Hi Bob

C&B stocks are not bad. My own main is bored 1.5" and the ferrule is 42mm int diameter as I like a bit more room for my drones. I also put the tying in groove about half way down the body instead of at the end. The drones balance better. The others are OK but I would make the base of the blowpipe stock wider, so the bottom of the groove would measure say 30mm. It ties more securely and resists the stresses of blowing better. The chanter stock could be flared towards the inside to give the reed a bit more room.

I use matching woods for the chanter and blowpipe stocks, but various others for the drone. Hard maple and Laburnum are two favourites but any wood that isn't too porous will do.
Laburnum stained black with spirit dye is a good match for blackwood.
These days I dry the drone stock blocks thoroughly in the microwave before boring and fitting. The drone ferrule will not come loose on a block treated this way. Its amazing how much water you can remove from wood you've had for years.
Instruction can be had off the web, but I have no current references.
Don't overheat the wood tho or the oven will get a funny smell and you won't be popular.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave Shaw, Northumbrian and Scottish Smallpipes, Irish Pipes and SHAW Whistles www.daveshaw.co.uk