From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of Anthony Robb
Sent: 09 February 2010 11:20
To: nsp; julia....@nspipes.co.uk
Subject: [NSP] Re: Sliabh na m'bhan (was Gaelic Pronunciation)

   On 6th Feb Julia Say wrote:

   That's interesting, Margaret. I remember Joe's views on both Irish
   music in
   Northumberland, and on Billy Pigg and his playing, from conversations
   with him in
   the early 90s, at the Rothbury course, at Alnwick, and from playing
   bass with him
   and Will & Will in sessions.
   As a result I am mildly surprised that he played it.
   Hello Julia & Margaret,
   Sorry to be so tardy replying to this. I hope people aren't given the
   wrong impression about Joe by this posting.
   I think the distinction  has to be made between style and music. People
   who knew Joe well would be amused by the suggestion that he had
   something against Irish music per se. True the Irish style was not
   attractive to him (and others) as it was too fast and flowing and
   lacking the bounce needed to satisfy a Ranting community. Jigs had
   similar problems. Having said that, many tunes of Irish origin were
   very successfully adapted to become well used favourites. Saddle
   the Pony & Blackthorn Stick to name but two. Hornpipes were the common
   ground here and Joe played some great Irish ones, Stack of Wheat,
   Greencastle etc.
   To be fair the same problems existed with some of the well known
   Scottish bands. Their reels tended to be "unRantable" and their waltzes
   and polkas tended to drag as far as Northumbrian dancers were
   concerned. If Scottish bands couldn't adapt their style to suit they
   didn't get a return gig!
   As Jimmy Little said recently, "to really know about our music you have
   to live amongst it"!
   As aye
   Anthony