On 18 Mar 2010, Francis Wood wrote:

>  the problem for any beginner is the usual one. Is is
> a fault with the pipes or with initial technique? Or both? ...and it takes a
> good amount of experience to
> determine what is really wrong. What should an isolated beginner do in such
> circumstances?

If it is happening on all of the three lower notes, rather than just one, I
would
first suspect a small leak about an octave up. Check the c# and d# keys (the
little
ones in the middle), and oil the pads. See if that improves matters.

Try any other reed you have.  Do they both do the same thing? (in which case
the
chanter is more suspect than the reed)

When first using the lower keys, it is common for players to unconsciously move
other bits of the hand whose thumb is operating the key, giving imperfect
coverage
on chanter holes of G, A (particularly), B, c in the case of the low D & F#;
and
d,e, f#, g for the low E. Oil your fingers lightly and try again. If the
problem
decreases, it is possibly your hand moving on the chanter.

Note also the pressure you are needing to apply to each key (all 7). Is one
much
lighter than the others? (it shouldn't be, but....). If so it could be that
this
spring needs attention to make the key close "properly".

Airtightness of the whole chanter is best checked by removing the stock and
reed,
attaching a plastic tube to the top of the chanter, placing your fingers over
all
the holes, then immersing the whole thing in water, and blowing *gently*. Any
leaks
will show up as bubbles (this is one form of the Northumbrian jacuzzi).

It won't hurt the chanter. Take it out, dry it off, re-oil the pads and put a
new
piece of cotton wool in.

To add to the good advice posted so far......

Julia