On 20 Apr 2010, neil smith wrote:

>    I don't know whether any readers know (or care)

Yes to both.

>  Forster Charlton devised a computer
>    program for simulating the sound of the nsp and sold it to the BBC.

It still exists, in the NPS archives. Unfortunately the equipment on which it
would
work is long obsolete. If anyone has access to a working BBC micro, and the
time,
inclination, and programming skills.......

>    Forster would occasionally emerge from the
>    kitchen where he'd be concocting some kind of dubious stew

I've heard about those, from both Dave McQuade, and Harry before he left us.
Some things one is mercifully spared.

>     bash a button on his keyboard, thus setting off a perfect
>    rendition of some infernally difficult tune of his such as Harry's
>    Rant.

Infernally interesting, surely, rather like some of yours, which also  have
finger
traps for the unwary in places!

Julia