From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of cal...@aol.com
Sent: donderdag 8 juli 2010 17:54
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [NSP] The Grand Chain

   I've just gotten my copy of the Northumbrian Pipers' Third Tune Book,
   2nd edition.  There's a tune whose title is given as "THE GRAND CHAIN
   (Le Grand Chien)."  Now, since this is a second edition, I'm assuming
   that it wasn't just a typo, so I'm curious about this title.  Was it
   just translated by somebody who was more interested in daydreaming
   about pipe tunes than paying attention during French class, or does the
   mistranslation actually have some interesting history behind it?  I'm
   not meaning to be arch, but I do find this interesting.

       Alec MacLean