From: Richard Shuttleworth <rshuttlewo...@sympatico.ca>
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu; bri...@aol.com
Sent: Thu, Jul 8, 2010 2:25 pm
Subject: [NSP] Re: la Grande Chaine

Hi Sheila,
Being neither a dancer nor a fiddler, I hesitate to answer your question.
Having made that disclaimer I will jump in with both feet. Many Quebec
traditional dances are in the form of a quadrille and are made up of several
parts. The Grande Chaîne is one such part. For example, the Quadrille de
Rimouski is made up of six parts: la Chaîne, le Changement de compagnie, le
Salut par le main, la Grand Chaîne, la Galope and finally les Confitures. The
tune we know as The Grand Chain is the tune that is played to the 4th part of
the dance. The tunes played to the other parts of the dance also take the name
of their particular part.

In case anyone is impressed by this show of knowledge, all this information
comes from a book entitled "La Dance traditionnelle dans l'est du Québec"
written by Simonne Voyer and published by l'Université Laval. Our tune The
Grand Chain appears in a recognizable form on page 275 as l'air de quadrille
(4ième partie): La Grande Chaîne. When did it become popular? I've no idea
but it is still being danced today.

Cheers,

Richard
ps Sheila, you haven't registered for the Pipers' Gathering yet - are we going
to have the pleasure of your company this year?
www.pipersgathering.org

----- Original Message ----- From: <bri...@aol.com>