Greetings.
I'm replacing the cover for my bag, due to replacing the leather bag with a longer necked one, which would otherwise poke out in an undignified way.

I've only ever seen velvet used on bag covers so far. Is it just a fine tradition, or is there some reason why other cloths may be inappropriate? Has anyone out there any experience of other cloths and their potential drawbacks?

If I do end up with a different cloth, do I get excommunicated, or burnt, or anything like that?

Best wishes,
Richard.