Is that the same/similar tune to the one in Crawhall on FARNE?
I should get the new edition too...

John

-----Original Message-----
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Matt Seattle
Sent: 01 November 2010 12:08
To: Richard York
Cc: NSP group
Subject: [NSP] Re: Tune hunt: OT but I hope interesting!

   I've no idea whether it's got anything to do with Lord Randal.

   I was made aware, from my reading, of the idea that 'Billy Boy' and
   'Lord Randal' are sort-of counterparts to each other, humorous and
   tragic, and both have relatively old antecedents.

   The Note in Bewick merely hints at this muddy area, it doesn't have
   answers. But there is a good tune included, and it fits the Randal
   words rather better than the Billy words.

   It's all a big muddy soup, and what does it all mean, I ask you, eh?