Yes, I understand the need to use a suitable tune for a dance but I was more thinking solo performances (and not only on the pipes) where dancing isn't the object. Over the many years , I have heard so many (as I am sure you have) young players basing their ability on speed rather than on the melodic aspect of the piece being played - choytes abounding!.
Colin Hill

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anthony Robb" <anth...@robbpipes.com>
To: "Dartmouth NPS" <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2010 9:38 AM
Subject: [NSP] Tempo

  On 10/12/10 Colin Hill wrote:

  Nice to (be) reminded that they are, after all, dance tunes and not
  attempts at a
  world speed record. :-)
  Hello Colin

  Very true, but different dances call for different tempos. Hornpipes
  are used for a variety of dances including the clog as linked. They are
  also used at a faster tempo for step hop dances such as Drops of Brandy
  (I'm talking Northumberland here not Scotland) and Nottingham Swing and
  then even a tad faster for the likes of Canadian Barn Dance.

  The trick is to use the best tune for the job. Most hornpipes can be
  paced to suit the clog tempo (about 66 bpm) but the tunes that best
  suit clog are the ones with a fair few triplets such as The Navvie On
  the Line, The Friendly Visit, The Quarrelsome Piper etc.

  It's interesting that the melodeon player added a few triplets of his
  own to help the dancer along and match the steps. The tune he used, The
  Underhand (Redesdale), is a tune that also works in its undecorated
  state at the step hop tempo (about 96 bpm). In fact for me it feels at
  its most musical somewhere between the two tempos.

  We do of course have famous hornpipes such as Shield's Hornpipe which
  became the Morpeth Rant sitting fairly happily at 106 bpm. Likewise,
  Roxburgh Castle and Hesleyside Reel work both as hornpipes and rants.

  I do agree that the trend to rattle through reels at, say, 128 bpm is
  unsatisfying. Even the old (Scottish dancing) guideline tempo, for
  reels, of 116 bpm has been lowered to 106 bpm to give the dancers time
  to make more of the steps.

  As aye

  Anthony