Hello John
   This is what Doubleday said of the pipes (my underscores):

   Thus, this instrument is limited to a single octave; and this (little
   as it is) admits of all the airs, to which it is really suited, being
   executed by it's means ; with the additional improvement that it may be
   played perfectly in tune, whilst the tones it produces being all
   staccato and of a clear, ringing, pearly, and brilliant character, give
   the instrument a power which it's appearance by no means promises, and
   which is really superior when the diminutive size of its chanter or
   melody-pipe is considered. In truth, whilst every other description of
   bag-pipe is defective, wanting in distinctness, and more or less out of
   tune in the upper octave, the Northumbrian pipe, when played by a
   master, executes the airs for which it has been intended to perfection,
   and with a precision even in the most rapid movements very pleasing as
   well as surprising.

   This doesn't sound to me that he doesn't like the pipes.

   Yes, Chris Ormston plays the Blackbird beautifully but then having
   heard Greg Smith doing the same piece on the fiddle takes the air to
   a far higher, expressive and sublime level. The same is true of Andy
   May's wonderful Bonny Lass o' Bon Accord - great until you hear the
   same piece done by the likes of Kenny Wilson (Border Strathspey & Reel
   Society) again is moving in the way pipes can't achieve. This is true
   of course in other spheres. Did any one out there have the nisfortune
   to pay a small fortune to hear James Galway playing "The 4 Seasons"?
   What a disappointment!

   Much of the pipes attractiveness lies in the tone. Pair it with fiddle
   tand it gives acombination of real gut tingling expressiveness; a
   winning combination. This is as true today as it was when Jamie Allan
   (we assume) played with Blind Jack o' Knaresborough in the 18th
   century.
   Doubleday would have heard the airs he is talking about played intially
   on instruments with dynamics. Hence his quite understandable
   disapproval on the sweet sounding (takes a genius to get anything like
   expression out of these) pipes playing the airs he was used to hearing
   on fiddle.

   Doubleday is saying what I have felt myself myself for some time. The
   pipes are a brilliant but not capable of the highest level of
   expressiveness. Their strength is their beauty of tone. Pair this with
   a fiddle say and the effect is awsome. This is as true today as it was
   in the 18th century when Jamie Allan (we assume) played with Blind Jack
   o' Knaresborough.
   Here's my challenge
   Find me any recording of any fiddle piece played by someone of Chris
   Ormston's talent i.e a top notch fiddle player and convince me it is
   not at a different level of musical expression compared to the same
   piece played on pipes.
   As aye
   Anthony